Mackintosh at the Willow is a beautiful recently restored tearoom on Sauciehall Street Glasgow. This building has international importance as the first building where Charles Rennie Mackintosh (along with his wife Margaret Macdonald ) designed all of the exterior and interior including furniture, lighting, tableware and gesso panels. The Willow Tearooms Trust have overseen the meticulous restoration of the building back to it’s condition at opening in 1903.
We were commissioned to make 125 Ladder-back Chairs which started with research into the originals and using our making skills to invisibly strengthen the design for use in the 21st century. The chairs are made in Scottish ash and have a black oil and black wax finish. The seats are hand-twisted rush. We also designed and made 40 tables for the tearoom.
Featured in World of Interiors December 2018.